How is the tear duct probed?

A thin, metal probe is gently inserted through the tear drainage system to open the obstruction. The drainage system is then flushed with fluid to make sure the pathway is open. The procedure is performed in an outpatient setting under local or general anesthesia. It causes little or no pain, but tears may be stained briefly with blood or a nosebleed may occur. An antibiotic eyedrop may be prescribed. 

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
What causes pink bubbles on the whites of the eyes?
Lee R. Duffner, MDLee R. Duffner, MD
The elevated pink areas on the nasal sides of the whites of the eyes are named pterygia. A pterygium...
What causes tear duct blockage?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
Causes of tear duct blockage include the following: aging (most common cause) infection (pink ey...
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?