How do medications treat uveitis?

Medication used for treatment of uveitis often includes corticosteroids and immunosuppressive drugs. Corticosteroids are potent drugs that are useful for treating inflammatory conditions. They reduce the human body's ability to fight an infection by suppressing the inflammation and produce the same effect on the body as the hormone cortisone. Immunosuppressive or cytotoxic agents are even stronger than corticosteroids and actually interfere with the human immune system. These drugs are used only when uveitis does not respond to corticosteroids and might cause permanent and rapid damage to vision. If uveitis is caused by another infection, antibiotics, with or without corticosteroids, are used to treat it.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
What are the symptoms of a blocked tear duct?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
The symptoms of a blocked tear duct include: tearing over the cheek wet eyes tearing on a windy...
Is multiple sclerosis (MS) the only cause of optic neuritis (ON)?
Dr. Louis RosnerDr. Louis Rosner
There are many other possible causes of optic neuritis (ON) besides multiple sclerosis (MS). These i...
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?