How do contact lenses affect floaters or flashes of light?

Gary S. Hirshfield, MD
Ophthalmology
Contact lenses do not affect floaters.  Most floaters are inside the eye and are caused by the vitreous jelly detached from the retina.  This is usually not a serious condition but should be checked by an Eye M.D.  Flashes can occur if the vitreous is tugging on the retina or from other causes.  Contact lenses are on the surface of the eye and do not have anything to do with floaters and flashes.  However, many people who use contacts use them for nearsightedness and people who are nearsighted are more likely to have vitreous floaters. 
Contacts do not cause floaters to become larger, although you might become more aware of them with visual improvement. Contacts also do not cause flashes. If you have flashes and/or an increase or change in floaters, especially suddenly, this may be a sign of a more serious problem within the eye, having nothing to do with the contacts. You should have a dilated eye exam by a Eye M.D. (ophthalmologist) to be certain that you don't have problems within the eye.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What Is Presbyopia?
What Is Presbyopia?
Presbyopia is a condition that affects a person's ability to see up close, and usually occurs around age 40. Learn more in this video featuring naturo...
How can I lower my risk of eye problems?
Healthy HumansHealthy Humans
Awareness of our eye health is very important. For example, if you don't recover from the glare caus...
Why should I know about eye floaters?
After age 65, you can expect to lose about 5 percent of the vitreous fluid in your eyeball each year....
What Is the Leading Cause of Blindness?
What Is the Leading Cause of Blindness?