How is Fuchs’ dystrophy treated?

Fortunately, Fuchs' endothelial dystrophy is treatable, although treatment often requires surgery. Today's techniques, though, provide a high degree of success and much faster recovery than in the past.

Consult your Eye M.D. for appropriate diagnosis if you think you or a family member might have Fuchs' dystrophy.
Treatment for Fuchs’ dystrophy depends on your particular condition, such as whether you have a cataract and the degree of changes in your corneal cells.
To control Stage 1 of the disease, your ophthalmologist may prescribe one or more of the following treatments:
  • Applying eyedrops to lessen swelling of the cells in the cornea
  • Using a hair dryer, held at arm’s length, to help dry the surface of the cornea
In Stage 2, you may need to wear a therapeutic bandage contact lens to lessen discomfort.
If poor vision begins to affect your lifestyle, your ophthalmologist may recommend corneal transplant surgery. There are two transplant options available: endothelial keratoplasty, a new method that transplants the endothelium and inner layers of
the cornea, and penetrating keratoplasty, a transplant of the entire central part of the cornea. Both procedures are effective, though endothelial keratoplasty is becoming more popular due to its shorter recovery time.
Some patients who have additional eye problems, such as cataracts, will need more complex surgeries that involve additional procedures. Your ophthalmologist will explain the treatment options appropriate for your case and will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
What is the treatment for a child born without a tear duct in one eye?
Lee R. Duffner, MDLee R. Duffner, MD
If the lacrimal drainage system - the portion of the tear system responsible for draining tears from...
How can I calm down after an eye injury?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
If you are anxious after a bombing or blast and eye injury, your feelings are normal. Bombings and b...
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?