What is eyelid margin disease?

Eyelid margin disease is a common and persistent inflammation of the eyelids. This condition frequently occurs in people who have a tendency toward oily skin, dandruff or dry eyes.

With blepharitis, both the upper and lower eyelids become coated with oily particles and bacteria near the base of the eyelashes.

Symptoms include:

• Eye and eyelid irritation 
  • Itchiness of the eye
  • Redness of the eye
  • Burning sensation

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
What should I do if I have temporary blindness and pressure in my eyes?
George A. Williams, MDGeorge A. Williams, MD
You need a comprehensive eye exam as soon as possible. Decreased vision can be a serious warning sig...
What is the treatment for a child born without a tear duct in one eye?
Lee R. Duffner, MDLee R. Duffner, MD
If the lacrimal drainage system - the portion of the tear system responsible for draining tears from...
What Is Promising About Molecular Genetics?