What are the effects of ION?

When blood flow to the optic nerve is reduced or blocked, the nerve is deprived of oxygen and nutrition. Without sufficient oxygen and nutrition, the nerve cannot function properly and will eventually die. The amount of vision loss depends on how much and how long the optic nerve was deprived of oxygen and nutrition.
Vision loss from ION is usually permanent. Complete loss of vision is rare; even people with severe ION retain some useful side vision. 

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What Is Presbyopia?
What Is Presbyopia?
Presbyopia is a condition that affects a person's ability to see up close, and usually occurs around age 40. Learn more in this video featuring naturo...
How Eye Health Is Influenced by Overall Health
How Many Diabetics Develop Diabetic Retinopathy?
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?