Does uveitis affect children differently than adults?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Uveitis that affects children (below the age of 16) is known as pediatric uveitis. Often, it is difficult to pinpoint a cause for pediatric uveitis. In the United States, there are about 11,000 cases of pediatric uveitis at any point in time. About 40 percent of these are posterior uveitis cases that blind a large percentage of children. Many children undergo recurring episodes of uveitis and the cumulative damage caused by corticosteroids and the disease might eventually lead to permanent loss of vision. Timely diagnosis and treatment is the key to avoid irreversible damage.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What could cause constant blinking and eye wiping when my child watches TV?
Michael X. RepkaMichael X. Repka
Sometimes blinking results from staring at the TV for a long period of time, causing the eye to dry ...
What causes my eyes to constantly tear?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
Tearing is a very common complaint and is often difficult to solve because there are so many differe...
How Do You Inspire the Next Generation of Physicians?
Have Eye Treatments Evolved?
Have Eye Treatments Evolved?