What is the difference between a pterygium and a pinguecula?

A pinguecula is a yellowish patch or bump on the conjunctiva, most often on the side closest to the nose. It is a change in the normal tissue that results in a deposit of protein, fat and/or calcium. It is similar to a callus on the skin.
A pterygium is a growth of fleshy tissue, often arising from a pinguecula, on the conjunctiva that extends over the cornea. This growth may remain small or grow large enough to interfere with vision. 

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
What could cause constant blinking and eye wiping when my child watches TV?
Michael X. RepkaMichael X. Repka
Sometimes blinking results from staring at the TV for a long period of time, causing the eye to dry ...
What can help me manage map-dot fingerprint dystrophy?
Ivan A. Schwab, MDIvan A. Schwab, MD
Map-dot dystrophy of the cornea is relatively common and often has a genetic component. It consi...
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?