Are there other diseases or conditions associated with coloboma?

Coloboma is sometimes found in association with other eye features. These may include: Difference in eye color between the two eyes (heterochromia) Small eyes (microphthalmia) Increased thickness of the cornea (the clear front part of the eye) Clouding of the lens (cataract) Elevated pressure in the eye (glaucoma) Retinal malformation (retinal dysplasia) Nearsightedness (myopia) Involuntary eye movements (nystagmus) Protrusion of the back of the eyeball (posterior staphyloma)

In other parts of the body
Coloboma may be an isolated feature or may be found with other features. Sometimes, these other features may be few and minor, such as skin tags near the ear. Sometimes, they may be more numerous and severe, such as a heart or kidney defect. A few of these associations may be genetic syndromes. These include (but are not limited to):

CHARGE syndrome Cat-Eye syndrome Kabuki syndrome 13q deletion syndrome Wolf-Hirshhorn syndrome

This answer is based on the source infromation from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
How are tear duct infections diagnosed?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
Tear duct infections are diagnosed with the following tests: Dye disappearance test: An orange dy...
What should I do if I have temporary blindness and pressure in my eyes?
George A. Williams, MDGeorge A. Williams, MD
You need a comprehensive eye exam as soon as possible. Decreased vision can be a serious warning sig...
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?