Why is it important to take care of my vision as I get older?

With age, almost everyone's vision deteriorates to some degree. Fortunately, there are several ways to lessen the impact of age-related eye changes. Making up for vision losses, no matter how big or small, is very important. If ignored, even mild visual impairment can lead to problems ranging from feelings of depression and social isolation to injuries from falls.

By addressing any age-related vision troubles as they arise and making the necessary adjustments to your surroundings or lifestyle, you should be able to continue enjoying an active, productive, and independent life.

Dr. Laura C. Fine, MD
Ophthalmologist (Eye Specialist)

Aging can increase your challenges as a driver, especially if you suffer from an eye condition such as macular degeneration, presbyopia, glaucoma, or cataracts. Stay safe by getting annual eye exams, checking in with your ophthalmologist, and taking necessary precautions.

Invest in new, more powerful glasses to compensate for any vision loss. Consider adding antiglare coating to your eyeglasses to reduce the temporary blindness caused by oncoming headlights at night.

You can adjust your car to suit your needs, as well. Consider installing broader side-view and rear-view mirrors to provide greater peripheral vision, or choose a car with bigger and brighter gauges to help you stay in control.

Simple lifestyle adjustments may also be in order. Perhaps driving in heavy rain or at night is no longer a good idea. For instance, cataracts, which cloud the lens, make night driving particularly difficult.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

The Importance of Contact Lens Care
The Importance of Contact Lens Care
In the 1997 movie Contact, astronomer Ellie Arroway (Jodi Foster) gets a message from outer space instructing her to build a machine. Hmmm. Will it de...
Why are smoking and high blood pressure so dangerous to your vision?
Smoking or high blood pressure cuts off blood vessels that feed the retina (the nerve tissue that co...
What can I do to reduce eye irritation?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Try daily lid scrubs to improve your eye health. Lid scrubs simply involve gently rubbing the ba...
How Do You Inspire the Next Generation of Ophthalmologists?