When should my child see a pediatric ophthalmologist?

If your child has an eye problem, or trouble reading or learning, your pediatrician may suggest seeing a pediatric ophthalmologist. These specialists can diagnose, treat, and manage all children’s eye problems, including amblyopia or “lazy eye.” Your pediatrician will likely suggest a specific doctor, but the websites for these two organizations can also help you find pediatric ophthalmologists in your area:

• The American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (misaligned eyes): (click on “Find a Pediatric Ophthalmologist”)
  • American Academy of Ophthalmology

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Eye Care

The Importance of Contact Lens Care
The Importance of Contact Lens Care
In the 1997 movie Contact, astronomer Ellie Arroway (Jodi Foster) gets a message from outer space instructing her to build a machine. Hmmm. Will it de...
Is it safe to sleep with my contact lenses in?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
It is not safe to sleep with your contact lenses in. Extended wear of contact lenses is one of the g...
How bad is it to sit in front of a computer screen for hours each day?
Robert Abel JrRobert Abel Jr
Computer vision syndrome refers to eyestrain resulting from long-term computer use. Although this co...
Is Eye Disease More Prevalent for Those with Diabetes?