What tests do I need if my eyes have narrow drainage angles?

The most important test to perform is gonioscopy to ensure if the drainage angles in the eyes are indeed narrow and capable of closure. Gonioscopy is an examination technique using a contact lens to visualize the drainage angle in the front of the eye, which is normally not visible without the contact lens. The intraocular pressure in the eye should also be measured, and other tests may be appropriate if there may have been episodes of elevated eye pressure in the past that may have caused damage to the optic nerve or some vision loss in the eye. There are also other tests performed in eyes with narrow angles at times where the findings are equivocal. However, the results of these tests are often not conclusive, and the diagnosis of the narrow angle is therefore primarily based on the clinical examination and gonioscopy results noted above. In addition, a history of symptoms that would be consistent with angle closure and elevated pressure in the eyes can be very helpful in establishing the diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

Can vision therapy help improve a child's poor handwriting?
Michael X. RepkaMichael X. Repka
Vision therapy means many different interventions offered to patients. For convergence insufficiency...
How effective is azithromycin in treating dry eyes?
Azithromycin is fairly effective in improving the dryness and redness of the eye in people who have ...
How can lutein help protect your eyes?
Lutein has been found to be one of the most beneficial nutrients for maintaining sight and improving...
Is it safe to sleep with my contact lenses in?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
It is not safe to sleep with your contact lenses in. Extended wear of contact lenses is one of the g...