What is an ophthalmologist?

An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor who specializes in eye diseases and abnormalities. He or she can also perform eye surgery.
Laura C. Fine, MD
Ophthalmology
An ophthalmologist is a physician -- either a doctor of medicine (M.D.) or doctor of osteopathy (D.O.) -- who specializes in medical and surgical care of the eyes and visual system, as well as in prevention of eye disease. In order to become a licensed ophthalmologist, a doctor must complete four or more years of medical school, one year of internship, and three or more years of specialized medical, surgical, and refractive training. Ophthalmologists are qualified to diagnose and treat (medically and surgically) diseases, disorders, and injuries of the eyes and visual system. In addition, they can provide more basic eye care, including prescribing eyeglasses and contact lenses.
David R. Demartini, MD
Ophthalmology
An ophthalmologist is a MedicalDoctor (MD) who is trained in general medicine first, treats patient's general medical problems as an intern before deciding to specialize in medical and surgical diseases involving the eyes. Many ophthalmologists do even more specialized training after residency to concentrate on more specific diseases (retinal, pediatric, cornea,l etc) of the eye.
An ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) is a medical doctor with additional specialized training in all aspects of eye care — medical, surgical and optical.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

How Often Do I Need an Eye Exam As I Grow Older?
In this video, ophthalmologist and Sharecare Advisory Board member David Demartini, MD, explains how frequently you should have an eye exam, and why t...
When should I see an eye doctor?
Visit an eye care professional if you have: decreased vision eye pain drainage or redness of th...
What happens when we cry?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When we cry, a salty fluid full of water, protein, oil and mucus is released from the lacrimal gland...
How Does Personalized Medicine Play Into Ophthalmology?