What kinds of eye drops should I avoid for my dry eyes?

If you have dry eyes you should avoid artificial tears that contain preservatives and drops that clear the red out. Dry eyes can be made worse by artificial tears that contain preservatives. Occasional use is unlikely to have a side effect from the preservatives. With frequent use, the preservative can cause some irritation. Also, drops that clear the red out frequently cause the dryness to get worse.

Donna Hill Howes, RN

People with dry eyes should not use eyedrops that are made to treat red or itchy eyes. These products contain chemicals that tighten blood vessels in the eye, such as naphazoline or tetrahydrozoline. They have been shown to reduce tear volume and can make dry eye problems worse.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

How Often Do I Need an Eye Exam As I Grow Older?
In this video, ophthalmologist and Sharecare Advisory Board member David Demartini, MD, explains how frequently you should have an eye exam, and why t...
What can I do to reduce eye irritation?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Try daily lid scrubs to improve your eye health. Lid scrubs simply involve gently rubbing the ba...
Why is it important to take care of my vision as I get older?
With age, almost everyone's vision deteriorates to some degree. Fortunately, there are several ways ...
What Is the Mission of the American Academy of Ophthalmology?