What happens during a visual field test?

The test is performed with a large, bowl-shaped instrument called a perimeter. In order to test one eye at a time, one of your eyes is temporarily patched during the test. You will be seated and positioned comfortably in front of the perimeter and asked to look straight ahead at a fixed spot (the fixation target). The computer makes a noise and then randomly flashes points of light around the bowl-shaped perimeter. Not every noise is followed by a flash of light. When you see a light, press the indicator button. It is very important to always keep looking straight ahead. Do not move your eyes to look for the target; wait until it appears in your side vision. It is normal for some of the lights to be difficult to see. A delay in seeing a light does not necessarily mean your field of vision is damaged.

If you need to rest during the test, tell the technician and they will pause the test until you are ready to continue.

Your ophthalmologist will interpret the results of your test and discuss them with you.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

How Often Do I Need an Eye Exam As I Grow Older?
In this video, ophthalmologist and Sharecare Advisory Board member David Demartini, MD, explains how frequently you should have an eye exam, and why t...
How bad is it to sit in front of a computer screen for hours each day?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
Sitting still and not moving for hours -- something that can easily happen in front of the computer ...
What can I do to reduce eye irritation?
To reduce eye irritation it is important to recognize what is causing your eye irritation in order t...
When Should a Diabetes Patient See an Ophthalmologist?