How can lutein help protect your eyes?

Lutein has been found to be one of the most beneficial nutrients for maintaining sight and improving the health of your eyes. Some researchers believe lutein prevents oxidative damage to your retina, but we really don't know how it does its good deeds. It's found in corn, spinach, and other leafy green vegetables, and you can also take it in supplement form. I recommend taking 1,000 milligrams twice a day.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Eye Care

Which Eye Exams Do You Need?
Which Eye Exams Do You Need?
Regular vision checkups are key, since many eye diseases have no symptoms. According to the National Institutes of Health, adults over 40 should be ex...
What happens during an eye exam or vision test?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Our eyes need regular checkups from childhood through our senior years. During a comprehensive annua...
Why is it important to take care of my vision as I get older?
With age, almost everyone's vision deteriorates to some degree. Fortunately, there are several ways ...
How Do You Inspire the Next Generation of Ophthalmologists?