How can lutein help protect your eyes?

Lutein has been found to be one of the most beneficial nutrients for maintaining sight and improving the health of your eyes. Some researchers believe lutein prevents oxidative damage to your retina, but we really don't know how it does its good deeds. It's found in corn, spinach, and other leafy green vegetables, and you can also take it in supplement form. I recommend taking 1,000 milligrams twice a day.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Eye Care

Why You Need Regular Eye Exams
Why You Need Regular Eye Exams
Roughly 11 million Americans older than 12-years old need vision correction, but glasses or contacts are just one reason to see an eye doctor. Compreh...
How long does it take to recover from a ptygerium surgery?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
This is dependent on how the surgery is done and the technique used.  In general I tell my patients ...
How should I choose sunglasses to protect my eyes from the sun?
While most people are more concerned about how they look in a pair of sunglasses, choosing the right...
Will We Eventually Be Able to Cure Blindness?