How can I tell if my sight is deteriorating?

Josh Johnston
Optometry
There are many symptoms you may notice when your sight begins to deteriorate. The most common is simply noticing you may not be able to see as clearly as you used too. You may have trouble reading or problems driving at night for example. If you notice a change in your vision it's best to get a complete dilated eye exam by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist to get a proper diagnosis.    
There are a couple of things you should look out for to tell if your vision has been deteriorating. Here are three tip-offs that you need to see an ophthalmologist or an optometrist:
  1. If you experience eye fatigue quicker than usual when you're doing some activity that you normally do, like working on a computer;
  2. If your eyes get tired earlier in the day-say you can't read in bed anymore, though you used to read before you fell asleep;
  3. If it takes your eyes a little longer than normal to recover to bright lights you see at night (say 7 to 10 seconds as opposed to 3). This is especially evident when you're driving.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Eye Care

The Importance of Contact Lens Care
The Importance of Contact Lens Care
In the 1997 movie Contact, astronomer Ellie Arroway (Jodi Foster) gets a message from outer space instructing her to build a machine. Hmmm. Will it de...
Why is it important to take care of my vision as I get older?
With age, almost everyone's vision deteriorates to some degree. Fortunately, there are several ways ...
What can happen to my eyesight after I turn 40?
Vision can change dramatically after people turn 40. Learn more as Dr. Oz discusses in this video wh...
What Can Happen to My Eyesight After I Turn 40?