Is there an alternative to having my pupils dilated during an eye exam?

There are many efforts to develop technology to provide a proper retinal examination without dilating a patient's pupil. Although many of these technologies provide a partial evaluation of the retina, most ophthalmologists (eye doctors) would advise that none of them is equal to the quality and reliability of a dilated-pupil examination of the retina. Someday the technology of these devices may progress to equal a dilated-pupil examination of the retina, but that day has not yet arrived.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

How Often Do I Need an Eye Exam As I Grow Older?
In this video, ophthalmologist and Sharecare Advisory Board member David Demartini, MD, explains how frequently you should have an eye exam, and why t...
Why You Need Regular Eye Exams
Why You Need Regular Eye Exams
Roughly 11 million Americans older than 12-years old need vision correction, but glasses or contacts are just one reason to see an eye doctor. Compreh...
What Recent Eye Health Developments Have Surprised You the Most?
Will We Eventually Be Able to Cure Blindness?