Is there an alternative to having my pupils dilated during an eye exam?

There are many efforts to develop technology to provide a proper retinal examination without dilating a patient's pupil. Although many of these technologies provide a partial evaluation of the retina, most ophthalmologists (eye doctors) would advise that none of them is equal to the quality and reliability of a dilated-pupil examination of the retina. Someday the technology of these devices may progress to equal a dilated-pupil examination of the retina, but that day has not yet arrived.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

Why You Need Regular Eye Exams
Why You Need Regular Eye Exams
Roughly 11 million Americans older than 12-years old need vision correction, but glasses or contacts are just one reason to see an eye doctor. Compreh...
Should I worry if I have dry peeling skin on lower eyelids?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
I don't think you should worry.  Dry, peeling skin can occur for many reasons.  It can be allergy re...
What preservatives are in artificial tears?
Many artificial tear products contain preservatives to keep them sterile and prevent eye infections....
How Does the Big Data Concept Impact Ophthalmology?