How is my vision measured?

Laura C. Fine, MD
Ophthalmology
That familiar chart with rows of letters and numbers that diminish in size to test your eyesight is the Snellen chart. A doctor or technician uses this chart to test your visual acuity -- the sharpness of your central vision. Think of central vision as your eye's "vital sign," much like blood pressure and heart rate are the heart's vital signs. If you wear corrective lenses, the doctor tests your vision while you wear your glasses or contact lenses and also looks at your glasses through a device called a lensometer to determine their exact prescription.

Your exam score indicates how well you see compared with someone whose vision is normal. For instance, if you have 20/20 vision -- considered the standard for normal -- that means you can see at a distance of 20 feet what another individual with normal vision sees at 20 feet. However, if your vision is 20/40, you see at a distance of 20 feet what a person with normal vision would be able to see at 40 feet; in other words, you need to stand closer to the object to see it as clearly. In general, the higher the second number, the worse your vision.

If the test indicates a need for corrective lenses or a prescription adjustment, the doctor measures the eye's refraction, or focusing accuracy, using instruments that contain a combination of corrective lenses. To confirm that reading, you will be asked to look through a variety of lenses to ascertain which one gives you the best sight.

The doctor will also evaluate your peripheral vision. Typically you'll be asked to cover one eye and fix the other eye on a point straight ahead. The doctor will shift an object, such as a pen, back and forth at the outer edges of your visual field and ask you to note when you see it moving.

In certain circumstances, your color vision may also be measured with special color pictures. In addition, depth perception can be determined with a series of three-dimensional images. This is especially important if anyone in your family has had strabismus (eye muscle imbalance).

Continue Learning about Eye Care

How Often Do I Need an Eye Exam As I Grow Older?
In this video, ophthalmologist and Sharecare Advisory Board member David Demartini, MD, explains how frequently you should have an eye exam, and why t...
Is it safe to sleep with my contact lenses in?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
It is not safe to sleep with your contact lenses in. Extended wear of contact lenses is one of the g...
How can excessive tearing be treated?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
Once your ophthalmologist determines the cause, treatment may include one or more of the following: ...
Will We Eventually Be Able to Cure Blindness?