How can I tell if I have dirt or debris trapped in my eye?

Retained dirt or debris in the eye usually lodges under the upper eyelid and less commonly under the lower eyelid. Such foreign material may not be apparent in a mirror or to an outside observer.

For a foreign object to reach the back of the eye, it would have to penetrate the eyeball or surrounding tissue; this would constitute a surgical emergency. Serious infections can result from dirt or debris anywhere in or around the eye, so you should promptly consult an eye doctor if you have any persistent symptoms.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

How Often Do I Need an Eye Exam As I Grow Older?
In this video, ophthalmologist and Sharecare Advisory Board member David Demartini, MD, explains how frequently you should have an eye exam, and why t...
How Do You Inspire the Next Generation of Ophthalmologists?
Will We Eventually Be Able to Cure Blindness?
When Should a Diabetes Patient See an Ophthalmologist?