How can I tell if I have dirt or debris trapped in my eye?

Retained dirt or debris in the eye usually lodges under the upper eyelid and less commonly under the lower eyelid. Such foreign material may not be apparent in a mirror or to an outside observer.

For a foreign object to reach the back of the eye, it would have to penetrate the eyeball or surrounding tissue; this would constitute a surgical emergency. Serious infections can result from dirt or debris anywhere in or around the eye, so you should promptly consult an eye doctor if you have any persistent symptoms.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

The Importance of Contact Lens Care
The Importance of Contact Lens Care
In the 1997 movie Contact, astronomer Ellie Arroway (Jodi Foster) gets a message from outer space instructing her to build a machine. Hmmm. Will it de...
Why do some eye drops need to be refrigerated?
Louis B. Cantor, MDLouis B. Cantor, MD
Some evidence suggests that some of the glaucoma medications may be subject to degradation or breakd...
What are some tips for applying eye drops?
Laura C. Fine, MDLaura C. Fine, MD
Here are some tips for applying eye drops: If you have a strong blink reflex, try lying flat on your...
What Is the Mission of the American Academy of Ophthalmology?