How often can I safely use artificial tears?

Artificial tears are drops that you can safely use in your eyes as often as you need them, and they will not harm the eyes. If you are using them frequently, you may wish to get "preservative-free" tears, as sometimes the preservatives can be irritating for some people. Also, if you are finding you need the artificial tears often, it may be a good idea to speak with your eye doctor, in case there is an underlying dry eye condition that needs further treatment.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

How Eye Exams Keep Your Brain Young
How Eye Exams Keep Your Brain Young
When was your last eye exam? It's possible your answer could affect your risk of Alzheimer's. In a study, people with vision problems who failed to v...
Why should I get my child's eyes checked?
Dr. Monica R. Khitri, MDDr. Monica R. Khitri, MD
Children should start getting eye examinations as soon as they are born. Initially, these exams are ...
What's the difference between an ophthalmologist and an optometrist?
Lee R. Duffner, MDLee R. Duffner, MD
An ophthalmologist is an Eye M.D., either a medical doctor or a doctor of osteopathic medicine (D.O....
What Is the Mission of the American Academy of Ophthalmology?