How often can I safely use artificial tears?

Artificial tears are drops that you can safely use in your eyes as often as you need them, and they will not harm the eyes. If you are using them frequently, you may wish to get "preservative-free" tears, as sometimes the preservatives can be irritating for some people. Also, if you are finding you need the artificial tears often, it may be a good idea to speak with your eye doctor, in case there is an underlying dry eye condition that needs further treatment.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

Which Eye Exams Do You Need?
Which Eye Exams Do You Need?
Regular vision checkups are key, since many eye diseases have no symptoms. According to the National Institutes of Health, adults over 40 should be ex...
How long does it take to recover from a ptygerium surgery?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
This is dependent on how the surgery is done and the technique used.  In general I tell my patients ...
What happens during an eye exam or vision test?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Our eyes need regular checkups from childhood through our senior years. During a comprehensive annua...
What Can Happen to My Eyesight After I Turn 40?