What health conditions can my eye doctor discover during an exam?

Doctors can see representative brain cells in the optic nerve when they examine your eyes-making them a window into your brain. By examining your eyes, a doctor can often detect diabetes, high blood pressure, arterial plaque, multiple sclerosis, brain tumors, stroke, leukemia and many other conditions. That makes getting a thorough eye exam one of the best ways to have your brain personally audited for bigger problems that can affect you down the road.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Eye Care

How Often Do I Need an Eye Exam As I Grow Older?
In this video, ophthalmologist and Sharecare Advisory Board member David Demartini, MD, explains how frequently you should have an eye exam, and why t...
Will We Eventually Be Able to Cure Blindness?
How Does the Big Data Concept Impact Ophthalmology?
What Recent Eye Health Developments Have Surprised You the Most?