What types of eyedrops are used during an examination?

Dilating Drops
Your ophthalmologist uses eyedrops to dilate, or enlarge, the pupil of the eye. This allows examination of the inside of your eye.
Because driving may be difficult immediately after a dilated eye examination, ask your ophthalmologist if you need to make arrangements for a ride home afterward.
Anesthetic Drops
Anesthetics are painkillers that numb the eyes within a few seconds. These drops should be used only in the doctor’s office and never at home. Repeated use at home can harm the surface of the eye, which could lead to an infection or serious scarring of the cornea.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

How Often Do I Need an Eye Exam As I Grow Older?
In this video, ophthalmologist and Sharecare Advisory Board member David Demartini, MD, explains how frequently you should have an eye exam, and why t...
How Does the Big Data Concept Impact Ophthalmology?
How Do You Inspire the Next Generation of Ophthalmologists?
Is Eye Disease More Prevalent for Those with Diabetes?