Are all eye doctors the same?

Dr. James J. Salz, MD
Ophthalmologist (Eye Specialist)

If you injure your eye when doing yard work, you should be examined by a medical eye doctor (ophthalmologist) as soon as possible. Yard injuries can be dirty and contaminated with bacteria as well as fungi and can develop into serious corneal infections, so you need to be examined.

An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor (M.D. or D.O.) with special training to diagnose and treat all diseases of the eye.

To become an ophthalmologist requires a minimum of eight years of medical school and hospital training after college. An ophthalmologist is qualified to provide all aspects of eye care, including cataract, laser and other eye surgery.

Optometrists (O.D.) and opticians are other types of eye care professionals. They are trained and licensed to provide some aspects of eye care, but they are not medical doctors and have not attended medical school. In most states, they cannot prescribe all medications or perform surgery.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

How Often Do I Need an Eye Exam As I Grow Older?
In this video, ophthalmologist and Sharecare Advisory Board member David Demartini, MD, explains how frequently you should have an eye exam, and why t...
Why are smoking and high blood pressure so dangerous to your vision?
Smoking or high blood pressure cuts off blood vessels that feed the retina (the nerve tissue that co...
What are the various eye problems caused by the sun?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
The delicate skin of the eyelids and around the eyes is extremely vulnerable. Basal and squamous cel...
Will We Eventually Be Able to Cure Blindness?