Are all eye doctors the same?

Dr. James J. Salz, MD
Ophthalmologist (Eye Specialist)

If you injure your eye when doing yard work, you should be examined by a medical eye doctor (ophthalmologist) as soon as possible. Yard injuries can be dirty and contaminated with bacteria as well as fungi and can develop into serious corneal infections, so you need to be examined.

An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor (M.D. or D.O.) with special training to diagnose and treat all diseases of the eye.

To become an ophthalmologist requires a minimum of eight years of medical school and hospital training after college. An ophthalmologist is qualified to provide all aspects of eye care, including cataract, laser and other eye surgery.

Optometrists (O.D.) and opticians are other types of eye care professionals. They are trained and licensed to provide some aspects of eye care, but they are not medical doctors and have not attended medical school. In most states, they cannot prescribe all medications or perform surgery.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

Which Eye Exams Do You Need?
Which Eye Exams Do You Need?
Regular vision checkups are key, since many eye diseases have no symptoms. According to the National Institutes of Health, adults over 40 should be ex...
Why should I have an eye exam?
When you're looking for a tip-off to how your eyes are doing, here's one big clue: Check your night ...
Why is it important to take care of my vision as I get older?
With age, almost everyone's vision deteriorates to some degree. Fortunately, there are several ways ...
Will We Eventually Be Able to Cure Blindness?