What increases my risk for intraocular melanoma?

There are several factors, both genetic and environmental, that may put you at risk for intraocular melanoma. If you have light hair and skin and have green or blue eyes, you're more at risk since your eyes have less pigment to protect them. Also, being Caucasian may increase your risk for intraocular cancer. Older adults are more commonly affected by the disease, so your age may affect your risk. Environmental risk factors such as excessive sun exposure may also increase your risk for intraocular melanoma, though the tie between sun exposure and development of the disease is not as strong as it is for regular skin melanoma.

Continue Learning about Eye Cancers

What are my chances of surviving eye cancer?
Every case is different, but survival rates for eye melanoma are relatively favorable. The five-year...
Is ocular lymphoma an eye cancer?
Yes. Ocular lymphoma begins in lymphocytes within the eye. Lymphoma often occurs in lymph nodes, but...
How Is Retinoblastoma Diagnosed?
How Is Retinoblastoma Diagnosed?
Can Ophthalmic Artery Chemosurgery Restore Sight to Eyes That Have Lost Vision From Cancer?