How do I manage my intraocular melanoma on a daily basis?

If you have intraocular melanoma, it's very important to follow treatment advice from your doctors. This may include surgery or therapies like radiation or photocoagulation. If treatment involves removing your eye, it can have a significant impact on your daily life. Talk to your doctor about ways that you might be able to improve your appearance, such as getting an artificial eye or facial prosthesis. This kind of treatment may cause emotional and mental distress, so make sure you take advantage of resources like support groups or counseling if it helps you. Treatment may also include "watchful waiting," which involves no medical intervention other than monitoring your tumor. In those cases-and in all cases of intraocular melanoma-you must follow up frequently with your doctor to make sure the melanoma hasn't spread.

Continue Learning about Eye Cancers

How common is eye cancer?
Eye cancer is relatively uncommon. Cancer spreads to the eye more frequently than it originates ther...
How is the eye cancer ocular melanoma diagnosed?
A diagnosis of ocular melanoma can sometimes be made with an ophthalmoscope alone. Otherwise, MRI, X...
How Did NBA Player Derek Fisher Change the Game on Treatment for Retinoblastoma?
Besides the U.S., Where Is Opthalmic Artery Chemosurgery Performed?