How is retinoblastoma diagnosed?

Retinoblastoma is usually diagnosed during a standard eye exam for children. Changes in the color of the pupil or uncoordinated eyes suggest that the cancer may be present. If doctors suspect retinoblastoma, they will usually not risk a biopsy. Instead, they will use a standard array of imaging tests: ultrasound, CT scan, or MRI. Sometimes blood and genetic testing is used. Other tests may be used to determine whether the cancer has spread.

Continue Learning about Eye Cancers

Can I develop uveal melanoma from another form of melanoma?
Although it's not the same thing as uveal melanoma, it's possible for a cancer that originates somew...
What are my chances of surviving eye cancer?
Every case is different, but survival rates for eye melanoma are relatively favorable. The five-year...
How Did NBA Player Derek Fisher Change the Game on Treatment for Retinoblastoma?
Can Ophthalmic Artery Chemosurgery Restore Sight to Eyes That Have Lost Vision From Cancer?