Is watching TV bad for your eyes?

Children can focus at close distance without eyestrain better than adults. They often develop the habit of holding reading materials close to their eyes or sitting right in front of the television.

There is no evidence that this damages their eyes, and the habit usually diminishes as children grow older. However, children with nearsightedness (myopia) sometimes sit very close to the television in order to see the images more clearly, so they should have an eye examination.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eye and Vision

Are fluorescent lights worse for my eyes than incandescents?
Aaron P. Weingeist, MDAaron P. Weingeist, MD
No. With routine use, neither type of light causes damage to the eyes or visual system. Some people ...
Does reading in dim light really hurt your eyes?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Yes, but not as badly as you might have thought when your parents scolded you for reading under the ...
What can I do to preserve my good vision after age 40?
People often need reading glasses after age 40 because their vision isn't as good as when they were ...
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?