Which nutrients improve night vision and eye health?

Research has found that eating a balanced diet, including fruits and vegetables, can help maintain and sometimes improve eye health. Beta-carotene is a nutrient that may play a role in slowing down the development of age-related macular degeneration. Beta-carotene may also protect eyes against night blindness and dry eye syndrome. Dietary sources of this antioxidant include carrots, sweet potatoes and kale. Two other nutrients that may slow macular degeneration and also cataracts are lutein and zeaxanthin, which is found in vegetables like yellow peppers, chard and broccoli, as well as in fruit such as mangoes. Several vitamins, such as A, C and E, have roles in eye health. Vitamin A is found in beef liver, eggs and milk; vitamin C is in strawberries, kale, oranges and cantaloupe; and vitamin E is in almonds and sunflower seeds. Zinc can improve night vision and is in dark-meat turkey, oysters and beef.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eye and Vision

4 Ways to Protect Your Eyes As You Age
4 Ways to Protect Your Eyes As You Age
In 2012, the actress Dame Judi Dench told the press her eyesight was failing and that she was unable to read her scripts. Her solution? Her daughter a...
Can I check my eye pressure at home?
Laura C. Fine, MDLaura C. Fine, MD
One home device, called the Proview Eye Pressure Monitor, measures pressure through the eyelid on th...
Can walking help keep my eyes healthy?
Walking is a quick path to a more youthful body. But more youthful eyesight?Seems so. People who hit...
Will Genome Sequencing Will Help Eye Health?