How can I prevent eye problems?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
An eye condition called macular degeneration has been found to be caused by a diet that is high in fat. In this video, Dr. Robin Miller reveals what to eat for optimum eye health.

Follow these 10 steps to prevent vision problems and keep your eyes healthy:

1. Know your family's eye health history - Talk to your family members about their eye health history. It's important to know if anyone has been diagnosed with a disease or condition that affects vision since many eye problems are hereditary.
  2. Schedule an eye exam - A visual acuity test will help your optometrist determine if you need eyeglasses or contact lenses for vision correction. A dilated-eye exam should also be done to check your eyes for any damage or signs of disease, such as glaucoma, cataracts, or age-related macular degeneration.
  3. Eat these healthy foods for your eyes - Fill up on oranges, strawberries, and leafy greens for vitamin C. Add turkey and chicken to your diet for zinc. Eat almonds and peanut butter for vitamin E, and cook up salmon, tuna, or halibut for omega-3s.
  4. Wear sunglasses for eye protection - To protect your eyes from damaging UVB and UVA rays, wear sunglasses with large lenses -- or even wraparound lenses -- that offer 99% to 100% UVA and UVB radiation protection.
  5. Exercise daily to improve vision - Vigorous exercise, such as running, can protect your eyes from the two leading eye problems that occur over time: cataracts and macular degeneration.
  6. Prevent eye infections with contact lenses care - Contact lenses are great for vision correction if you don't like wearing eyeglasses, but it's important to take special care of them to reduce your risk of eye infections.
  7. Treat dry, irritated eyes - To prevent dry eyes, eat more foods with vitamin A (e.g., cantaloupe, carrots, and mangoes), use a humidifier to moisten dry air, and be sure to wear sunglasses to protect your eyes on bright or windy days.
  8. Take a break from the computer to prevent eyestrain - Follow the 20-20-20 rule to reduce eyestrain: Every 20 minutes, look away about 20 feet in front of you for 20 seconds.
  9. Check your eyes for signs of other health problems - Blood vessels in your eyes that look stiff, form kinks or loops, or look bronze or gray instead of red, could be a sign of high blood pressure or diabetes, which can harm your eyesight. Blocked blood vessels or inflammation in your eyes may signal autoimmune disease that can cause vision problems, pain, sensitivity to light, and red, itchy eyes.
  10. Protect your eyes to prevent eye injuries - Whether playing sports or doing chores around the house, it's a good idea to protect your eyes to reduce your chance of eye injury.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Healthy Eye and Vision

4 Ways to Protect Your Eyes As You Age
4 Ways to Protect Your Eyes As You Age
In 2012, the actress Dame Judi Dench told the press her eyesight was failing and that she was unable to read her scripts. Her solution? Her daughter a...
How can I maintain healthy eyes?
  Being overweight increases your chance of developing diabetic eye disease or glaucoma. Thirty min...
How can I improve the cosmetic appearance of my eyes?
Watch to learn about a new treatment that grows new eyelashes.
How Eye Health Is Influenced by Overall Health