How can I keep my eyes healthy if I have diabetes?

The best way to keep your eyes healthy if you have diabetes is to work with your doctor to keep your blood sugar level controlled. It is also important that you see an ophthalmologist every year so your eyes can be monitored for any changes related to diabetes.
Keeping your blood sugar under control is a great start. Other things that can help are regular exercise, blood pressure and cholesterol control, and getting a yearly dilated fundus eye exam by an ophthalmologist. Early diabetic eye changes may not initially affect your vision, so these changes can unfortunately go undetected and untreated by patients. Therefore, a good eye exam is an important factor in taking care of your eyes if you have diabetes.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eye and Vision

4 Ways to Protect Your Eyes As You Age
4 Ways to Protect Your Eyes As You Age
In 2012, the actress Dame Judi Dench told the press her eyesight was failing and that she was unable to read her scripts. Her solution? Her daughter a...
Why do I need protective eyewear when playing tennis?
You need protective eyewear when you play tennis to avoid eye injury from a tennis ball. Shatterproo...
Is there a healing benefit to tears?
Watch to learn more about the cleansing benefit of emotional tears.
How Has Laser Technology Changed?
How Has Laser Technology Changed?