How should I care for my vision as I grow older?

Many eye diseases and disorders become more common as we age. Advances in ophthalmology allow most people to maintain good vision as they grow older. Many eye problems can be prevented or corrected if detected in their early stages. Most older people have good vision. If you do develop a vision problem, early diagnosis and treatment by an ophthalmologist can help to preserve your sight.

Regular eye examinations by an ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) are the best way to detect eye conditions early, while they can be treated. An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor (M.D. or D.O.) with special training and skills to diagnose and treat all diseases and disorders of the eye. The American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends an eye disease screening at age 40. Based on the results of the initial screening, your ophthalmologist will let you know how often to return for follow-up exams.

Adults 65 years and older should have an eye exam every one to two years, as recommended by your ophthalmologist. The following are eye problems commonly experienced by older people.

• Presbyopia
  • Floaters
  • Cataract
  • Glaucoma
  • Macular degeneration
  • Diabetic eye problems

Continue Learning about Healthy Eye and Vision

How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?
What Are the Most Important Issues in Eye Health?
How Do You Inspire the Next Generation of Ophthalmologists?
What Are Some Basic Facts About Children's Eye Health?