Why should I use compact fluorescent light bulbs instead of incandescents?

We all know you're supposed to turn lights off when you're not using them. But you can also help by using compact fluorescent light bulbs. A 23-watt compact fluorescent will give you as much light as a 100-watt incandescent - and last ten times longer and use a quarter of the energy. The downside: They contain about 5 milligrams of mercury, so they need to be recycled properly. Check with your municipality for drop-offs for items containing mercury. (Different states have different regs; you can get more info on your state's recycling laws by checking www.lamprecycle.org.)

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eye and Vision

What are three important things I can do to protect my eye health?
Your eyes do a lot for you. They help you enjoy scenic routes, admire Monet, and read gossip columns...
Why have my eyes gotten more bloodshot with age?
Aaron P. Weingeist, MDAaron P. Weingeist, MD
Eye redness is usually a sign of irritation. In many cases, eye-surface irritation is caused by a li...
What Is Promising About Molecular Genetics?
How Eye Health Is Influenced by Overall Health