Can walking help keep my eyes healthy?

Walking is a quick path to a more youthful body. But more youthful eyesight?

Seems so. People who hit the walking trail at least three times a week are less likely than exercise slackers to develop wet age-related macular degeneration (AMD), an eye disease that can smudge out central vision.

Step It Up, See Better
In the U.S., AMD is one of the most common causes of blindness in people over age 60. Wet AMD is an advanced form of the disease. But you don't have to go down to wet AMD without a fight. If you're over 65, simply walking more can help your peepers steer clear of the condition.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eye and Vision

4 Ways to Protect Your Eyes As You Age
4 Ways to Protect Your Eyes As You Age
In 2012, the actress Dame Judi Dench told the press her eyesight was failing and that she was unable to read her scripts. Her solution? Her daughter a...
Are fluorescent lights bad for my eyes?
Aaron P. Weingeist, MDAaron P. Weingeist, MD
With routine use, neither fluorescent nor incandescent light causes damage to the eyes or visual sys...
Why is exercise good for my eyes?
Getting fit doesn't just do a body good. It's great for your eye health, too. Vigorous exercise, suc...
Where Is the Medical Community on the Treatment of Macular Degeneration?