Can I check my eye pressure at home?

Laura C. Fine, MD
Ophthalmology
One home device, called the Proview Eye Pressure Monitor, measures pressure through the eyelid on the basis of phosphene -- a sensation of light produced in the eye by something other than light. To see a phosphene, close your eye and gently press your finger on your eyelid where it meets the nose. The phosphene appears as a bright central area surrounded by a dark ring with an outer bright halo. The eye pressure monitor works by gently applying pressure with a pencil-like probe on the eyelid until the patient sees the phosphene ring. The device then converts the input to a pressure measurement.

Further studies are under way to evaluate the device's accuracy. There are also several online tools to check your peripheral vision, but experts typically don't recommend these tests because the results haven't been fully validated and could therefore lead to unnecessary concern (or worse, misguided complacency). If you choose to use the device or an online test, it is important to see an ophthalmologist to discuss its use.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eye and Vision

Drinking Black Tea Can Help Reduce Your Glaucoma Risk
The health benefits of tea range from lowering stress to improving digestion to aiding sleep, and now you can add eye health to the growing list. Rese...
How can a healthy diet benefit my eye health?
Trouble seeing at night? Maybe some apricots are in order. Apricots are rich in beta carotene, a car...
How can I maintain healthy eyes?
  Being overweight increases your chance of developing diabetic eye disease or glaucoma. Thirty min...
How Has Laser Technology Changed?
How Has Laser Technology Changed?