Are carrots really good for your eyes?

Judy Caplan
Because carrots are high in vitamin A and beta carotene, they are known to play a role in eye health. Vitamin A is an essential component of rhodopsin, a protein which absorbs light in the retinal receptors. Some studies indicate that Vitamin A may play a role in preventing degenerative eye disease brought on by aging.
Dr. Know debunks the myth that eating carrots will improve your vision. Learn more about vitamin A in this video from Discovery.
Carrots are rich in vitamin A, which is essential for sight, but many other foods also contain this vitamin. A well-balanced diet, with or without carrots, provides all the vitamin A necessary for good vision.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eye and Vision

How Does the Big Data Concept Impact Ophthalmology?
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?
How Has Laser Technology Changed?
How Has Laser Technology Changed?
Will Genome Sequencing Will Help Eye Health?