When should I avoid exfoliating my skin?

Ben Kaminsky
Dermatology
If you have rosacea, exfoliation is not recommended, as the skin is already red, irritated, inflamed, and may have papules or pustules (bumps or white heads). Also, avoid exfoliating if you have acne with pustules on the skin. If an exfoliating ingredient breaks the thin membrane covering the pustule, bacteria can travel to other areas of the face and body and spread the acne. This can be extremely painful, too. If you have a tendency for acne but no pustules are present, try using either BHA (salicylic acid) or AHA (lactic acid, glycolic acid) when you exfoliate to help heal the skin.
Beyond Botox: 7 Strategies for Sexy, Ageless Skin Without Needles or Surgery

Sexy and ageless skin is possible for a woman at any age--and she doesn't have to resort to invasive treatments like Botox to get it-as long as she cares for her skin properly, says Ben Kaminsky,...

Continue Learning about Exfoliating Skin Cleansing Products

What are some good products for exfoliating my skin?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
To exfoliate, begin with a gentle process and move from head to toe. Products that are papaya-based ...
What is chemical exfoliation?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Acid-based exfoliants interact immediately with the skin and dissolve dead cells. These utilize beta...
How Can Exfoliants Help My Skin?
How Can Exfoliants Help My Skin?
How Can an Exfoliant Make My Skin Look Younger?