What do beta-hydroxy acids do?

Beta-hydroxy acid, or salicylic acid, is used for exfoliation purposes, to help dissolve the proteins that hold surface skin cells together and slough them away. Beta-hydroxy acid is also unique because it is able to penetrate into the oily regions of the skin, providing extra exfoliation in these areas. Salicylic acid is frequently used in the treatment of acne for this reason. When added to a moisturizer, salicylic acid has been shown to reduce sebum production by the skin. Beta-hydroxy acid can also be beneficial to aging skin, as it helps with skin cell turnover, revealing fresh skin cells and a smoother complexion.

Continue Learning about Exfoliating Skin Cleansing Products

How can an exfoliant make my skin look younger?
Exfoliant creams can help remove dead skin cells to reveal newer, smoother skin underneath. To l...
What are some exfoliating agents that can be found in cosmeceuticals?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Cosmeceutical products often contain a low concentration of skin-exfoliating agents such as glyc...
How Can an Exfoliant Make My Skin Look Younger?
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?