Will I burn more fat if I exercise at a lower intensity for longer?

Ultimately, exercising at a lower intensity for longer will not burn more fat. This is confusing, but here’s the science behind it: It is true that the percentage rate of fat burning is higher at lower intensity. However, the faster you walk or run, for example, the more calories you use per minute. And the most important focus in exercise and fat weight control is how many calories are burned during the activity. So, if you are able and you have clearance from your doctor, it makes sense to move more intensely to burn more calories in less time.
High-intensity exercise is difficult to achieve and sustain if you are just beginning or returning to exercise, so you may not be able to exercise very long at this level. Or you may never be able to exercise at this level if you have certain heart conditions or other medical conditions, for that matter. It is safest and most practical to start out at a lower intensity and work your way up gradually if it is recommended by your doctor. Or consider interval training, which alternates lower intensity walking with short bursts of higher intensity brisk walking, or running if you are able and your doctor agrees.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

What's the Best Exercise for Weight Loss If I Only Have 5 Minutes?
What Time of Day Will I Get the Most Effective Workout for Weight Loss?
How Can I Exercise to Lose Weight If I Have Foot Problems?
Exercise Harder to Eat Less
Exercise Harder to Eat Less