Which fat-burning methods really work?

Dr. Mike Clark, DPT
Fitness
Watch my video to learn about fat burning methods for real fat loss! 

The majority of us have excess fat somewhere on our bodies that we would love to get rid of. As a fitness professional, I constantly have people approaching me asking me to help them lose belly fat, or fat from another specific area of their body. Unfortunately spot reduction is not possible. When we lose fat from the body, it will be lost from the body as a whole - not just from one specific area.

The Law of Thermodynamics states that "body fat reduction will only take place when there are more calories being burned then are being consumed." There are three things you can do that will really work for fat loss.

1. Cardiovascular Training
Perform cardiovascular activities for fat loss. An intense cardio workout performed three to four days a week will help the body burn calories and therefore help with fat loss. Interval training, alternating periods of high and low intensity exercise is a great way to train and burn a greater number of calories during your workout. Use interval training only after you have established a firm cardio foundation.

2. Strength Train
A good total body strength training program will help to increase lean muscle mass. The good news here is that the more lean muscle mass you have, the more calories you will burn throughout the day which will also contribute to creating that necessary daily caloric deficit needed for fat loss.

3. Eat Less
Decreasing the amount of calories you eat will also play a major role in your fat loss success. Limit the amount of foods you eat that contain high calories and little nutritional value. Fast foods, candies, soda and alcohol are examples of these types of foods. Eat smaller portions and choose a wide variety of more nutritious foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, lean protein, and low fat dairy products.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

Should I Do Total-Body Exercises to Help Weight Loss?
How Can Social Networking Help Me Stay Motivated to Exercise?
What's the Best Exercise for Weight Loss If I Only Have 5 Minutes?
Exercise Harder to Eat Less
Exercise Harder to Eat Less