Which fat-burning methods really work?

In terms of exercise methods that burn fat, exercisers argue over whether low-intensity exercise burns more fat than high-intensity exercise.

Ultimately, both low- and high-intensity exercises burn fat. But in the big fat-loss game, it's how many calories you burn off relative to how many you take in that makes the difference. So from a weight-loss perspective, it's important to find activities that burn a higher rate of calories, and that you can do for an extended period of time. Because while it's true that high-intensity exercise burns the highest rate of calories, if you're only able to do for a short period of time, the total calories burned won't be as worthwhile as if you did a lower intensity workout for longer.

The bottom line for weight loss, then, is to focus on moderate-intensity aerobic activities. You'll be more likely to be able to do the activity for longer, have lower risk of injury, and still burn a decent amount of calories.

Weight Watchers offers a comprehensive approach to weight loss that can help you reach your goals.
Dr. Mike Clark, DPT
Fitness
Watch my video to learn about fat burning methods for real fat loss! 

The majority of us have excess fat somewhere on our bodies that we would love to get rid of. As a fitness professional, I constantly have people approaching me asking me to help them lose belly fat, or fat from another specific area of their body. Unfortunately spot reduction is not possible. When we lose fat from the body, it will be lost from the body as a whole - not just from one specific area.

The Law of Thermodynamics states that "body fat reduction will only take place when there are more calories being burned then are being consumed." There are three things you can do that will really work for fat loss.

1. Cardiovascular Training
Perform cardiovascular activities for fat loss. An intense cardio workout performed three to four days a week will help the body burn calories and therefore help with fat loss. Interval training, alternating periods of high and low intensity exercise is a great way to train and burn a greater number of calories during your workout. Use interval training only after you have established a firm cardio foundation.

2. Strength Train
A good total body strength training program will help to increase lean muscle mass. The good news here is that the more lean muscle mass you have, the more calories you will burn throughout the day which will also contribute to creating that necessary daily caloric deficit needed for fat loss.

3. Eat Less
Decreasing the amount of calories you eat will also play a major role in your fat loss success. Limit the amount of foods you eat that contain high calories and little nutritional value. Fast foods, candies, soda and alcohol are examples of these types of foods. Eat smaller portions and choose a wide variety of more nutritious foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, lean protein, and low fat dairy products.

Exercise and Diet are the optimal methods to burn fat and keep it off. I recommend a comprehensive exercise program that includes cardiovascular endurance training and resistance training, 3 - 5 days per week.

Proper Diet in conjunction with your exercise program will accelerate the fat-burning process and deliver the energy your body needs to maintain an active lifestyle. I find that 5 to 6 small/healthy meals daily is the best option to speed up your metabolism and keep your body burning fat while you sleep.

There are three sensible, proven ways to burn off fat and lose weight. Watch the video to learn how.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

Walk Off Weight, Turn Off Fat Genes
Walk Off Weight, Turn Off Fat Genes
Around 10,000 people have walked the 2,181 mile-long Appalachian Trail from Springer Mountain, Ga., to Maine's Mount Katahdin. In contrast, more than ...
Why can't I lose weight or inches from exercising?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
From a strictly mathematical and efficiency perspective, exercise as a weight-loss “tool” doesn’t re...
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
Trainer Donovan Green shares his secrets for calorie-burning success.
What Time of Day Will I Get the Most Effective Workout for Weight Loss?