What can I do if I'm too overweight to exercise?

Anne Spicker
Fitness
Attitude is vital when it comes to making exercise a regular part of your routine. Let's start by changing how we define exercise.  It doesn't have to be going to the gym and slogging away on a treadmill for hours.  It doesn't have to be dozens of crunches, planks, sit-ups or any other type of conventional exercise.

There are many ways we can convert our daily activities to help us be more active:
1. When you go to the grocery store park a little further from the entrance.  This will add a few more steps to your daily routine and will add to your daily activity.

2. The winter weather can make it risky to walk outside, so take a couple laps around the local mall or the inside perimeter of your local big box store or warehouse shopping club.

3. Do you take an elevator every day to get to work? Starting tomorrow take the elevator to the floor below your destination and take the steps up.  It may feel like a big effort at first, but with consistency, it will become easier.  When it does, start walking up two flights, and progress over time.

4.  Instead of calling someone in your office on the phone to ask a question, walk to their desk and ask them face-to-face.

5. Use half of your lunch break to take a walk. 

6. Chair aerobics are a great alternative if you can't stand for long periods of time.  Lift your legs as though you are marching, punch your arms forward and up, alternating right and left. You will be surprised how much this can increase your heart rate. 

Set a realistic goal to increase your activity level and make it part of your regular routine.

Transformation Nation finalist Sheila Hayes says that although she grew up in a family of athletes, she always felt too overweight to exercise. Now she rides her bike to and from work every day. Learn how she made the transformation by watching this video.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

Walk Off Weight, Turn Off Fat Genes
Walk Off Weight, Turn Off Fat Genes
Around 10,000 people have walked the 2,181 mile-long Appalachian Trail from Springer Mountain, Ga., to Maine's Mount Katahdin. In contrast, more than ...
How do I get past a plateau?
Jay Morgan, NASM Elite TrainerJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer
An absolute must in overcoming plateaus is a fundamental understanding that your body is striving fo...
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
Trainer Donovan Green shares his secrets for calorie-burning success.
Should I Do Total-Body Exercises to Help Weight Loss?