What determines how many calories I burn?

Manuel Villacorta
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

When most people think of energy expenditures, they think only of exercise. But in reality, there are three important components that will determine your calorie expenditures for the day, or your total energy expenditure (TEE). The first component is your resting metabolic rate, which means your metabolism. Your resting metabolic rate represents the calories the body burns to maintain vital body functions (heart rate, brain function, breathing, etc.). In simple terms, it is the number of calories you would burn if you were awake, but at rest all day with no physical exertion.

The second component that determines your energy expenditure is the amount of activity you do during the day through your work. Depending upon the activity level you perform during the day, your calories burned will vary. Even a sedentary person who sits in front of a computer will burn a small number of calories.

The third component is exercise. Your TEE is the sum of these three components, the total calories you burn in a 24-hour period. So if you eat the same number of calories as your TEE calculation, you will maintain your weight; if you eat more than your TEE calculation, you will gain weight; and if you eat less than your TEE, you will lose weight. It sounds simple, but it's a very powerful formula to understand.

Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

How much cardio should I do to lose weight?
Kyle Stull , NASM ExpertKyle Stull , NASM Expert
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate inten...
As a Sharecare Transformer, what exercise strategy helped you lose weight?
Jen McElroy - Sharecare TransformerJen McElroy - Sharecare Transformer
It's really the same strategy that I use with my diet. Make small changes. I started slowly - 20 min...
How can I get rid of the fat around my stomach?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Losing fat from just one area of our body is not possible. When it comes to fat loss the body will ...
How might exercise help me maintain my weight loss?
Sari GreavesSari Greaves
Based on a study carried out in animals, researchers found that animals that exercised after los...