Should I workout before I eat to help lose weight?

Meal timing has historically been a controversial issue. Many people routinely do cardio activity before they eat to help burn the stored fat. Although this may seem like a great concept, weight loss is dependent on how many total calories are being burned versus the total number of calories consumed over a time period regardless of the specific time that the calories are consumed and when the calories are being burned. An important factor to consider in weight loss is metabolism. Metabolism is the amount of calories the body burns to maintain itself. Your body's metabolism feeds off of being fed, much like a furnace needs wood to get started and continue burning. If an individual performs cardio activity first thing in the morning with no food, the metabolism has nothing to get it started. The activity will help a little, but not as much as if there were some calories taken in as soon as a person wakes up. If an exercise session is scheduled first thing in the morning, your body needs fuel to to kick start the metabolism. This meal can be something simple and small. This will also help to provide fuel during the exercise session, allowing the individual to workout harder and longer before fatiguing.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

Keep Weight off with This Kid Pastime
Keep Weight off with This Kid Pastime
Many of us haven't done it since our skinned-knee playground days. But research shows it may help keep you slim. Hint: It involves two wheels. We're ...
How can I get rid of the fat around my stomach?
Suzanne Luft , NASM Elite TrainerSuzanne Luft , NASM Elite Trainer
Despite what some infomercials would like you to believe, you can't crunch your way to a flat stomac...
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
Trainer Donovan Green shares his secrets for calorie-burning success.
How Beneficial Is Exercise with a Partner?