Is speed/agility/quickness (SAQ) training good for weight loss?

Speed, agility, and quickness training can be a great type of training to incorporate into a progressive weight loss program because it is fun, demanding, can challenge the cardiorespiratory system, and is a type of exercise training that the average exerciser never experiences.  Also, because it is a type of exercise that is usually not performed by the average exerciser interested in weight loss, the increased demands that it can place on the body may lead to increased calorie burn both during and after the exercise session. 

NASM methodology advises an integrated, progressive exercise plan for any health and weight loss program. Speed/agility/quickness is not just necessary for the athlete. Anybody can benefit from incorporating some SAQ training into their workout. Following the proper progression, we can effectively use SAQ training to add intensity, increase the cardiovascular demand, and provide a simple and exciting variety to a workout especially for the weight loss goal.

Agility training can also be beneficial for seniors, because most of the falls that occur in the silver age come from lack of fast reaction or change of direction in daily life challenges. Agility strength can also contribute to the balance in elderly or overweight beginners, preparing them for more challenging cardiovascular training.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

Buddy Up For Better Health
Buddy Up For Better Health
In an episode of the 90s sitcom News Radio, co-anchor Bill McNeal (Phil Hartman) wants to stop smoking, while news director Dave Nelson (Dave Foley) i...
How many calories will I burn in spin class?
An hour of spin class, due to its high level of intensity, will burn close to 775 calories per h...
6 Effortless Ways to Burn 500 Extra Calories Right Now
6 Effortless Ways to Burn 500 Extra Calories Right Now6 Effortless Ways to Burn 500 Extra Calories Right Now6 Effortless Ways to Burn 500 Extra Calories Right Now6 Effortless Ways to Burn 500 Extra Calories Right Now
They don't all require a trip to the gym.
What's the Best Exercise for Weight Loss If I Only Have 5 Minutes?