Does working out before eating help me burn more fat?

Some research supports the idea that exercising in a fasted state induces your body to burn more fat (as a percentage of the total energy that you burn during the exercise) than you would if you had eaten. However, the difference is not huge, and many people have reported poor workouts when they are too hungry. It comes down to preference and capability. If you think your workout is going to suffer in quality and intensity if you haven’t eaten, have a small meal and a great workout. If your workouts quality stays high, even fasted, then you could give it a try, however studies also show that the little extra contribution from fat in a fasted state is coming from within the muscle, not your tummy, so add that into the equation.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

Keep Weight off with This Kid Pastime
Keep Weight off with This Kid Pastime
Many of us haven't done it since our skinned-knee playground days. But research shows it may help keep you slim. Hint: It involves two wheels. We're ...
Do I have to exercise to lose weight?
Dr. Michael T. Murray, MDDr. Michael T. Murray, MD
Lack of physical activity promotes insulin resistance. Individuals who are sedentary tend to lose in...
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
Trainer Donovan Green shares his secrets for calorie-burning success.
What Time of Day Will I Get the Most Effective Workout for Weight Loss?