Is aerobic exercise helping me if I'm not losing weight?

Many people will make statements such as, “I am having difficulty losing weight, but I run on the treadmill for 60 minutes.” Steady state exercise is not the best method for weight loss. In fact, research has shown that during long bouts of steady exercise the body will begin to hold on to fat stores and prevent them from being used as fuel.

To combat this, NASM recommends undulating periodization. With this type of training you mix high-intensity  workouts with low intensity longer duration workouts. For example, you can do 20 second repeated sprints on a bicycle for 10 minutes then follow that with a 10 minute jog. Furthermore, you can do high intensity short-duration exercise on Monday then Slow, aerobic exercise on Wednesday. The more you alternate the workouts the more confused the body gets. This allows you to train and enhance multiple parts of body systems creating the ultimate routine.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

What Type of Exercise Equipment Would Be Good for Weight Loss?
How Important Is Exercise to a Weight Loss Program?
How Beneficial Is Exercise with a Partner?
What Are Some Exercises I Can Do At Home to Help Me Lose Weight?