How can I optimize my workout to lose more weight?

Robert DeVito
Fitness Specialist

Fitness strategies for weight loss success
Our body is designed for survival. That means that it is great at conserving and storing energy. This is a true disadvantage to those of us trying to reverse the amount of stored energy that we have.

Here are a few suggestions to maximize your exercise time and results. 

The strategies:

• Bottom line to weigh less: E IN vs. E OUT. If you are attempting to lose weight/fat you need to expend more calories than you consume. If you are not losing weight you are not in a deficit.
  • Weight Loss is different than Maintenance of Muscle while losing Fat. These are two significantly different methods to two significantly different outcomes.
  • Working out initially burns a significant amount of extra calories. Your body is an adaptive machine. Its goal is different than your desires.
  • Your results slow down after 1-2 months. It is natural.
  • Exercise increases the need for nutrients. If you are dieting and exercising then the body needs nutrition that is extremely difficult to attain from food alone. If you are in a nutrient deficit and a calorie deficit, this can begin to ruin your ‘metabolism’. 
  • The body strives for “the path of least resistance”. This means that it likes to be efficient. This is counter-productive towards any Fat Loss goal. Mentally, you are striving to burn more calories; physically your body is trying to figure out how to burn less.
  • If you are exercising for the same amount of time and at the same intensity on the same machines for more than a month you are allowing the body to become efficient. (S.A.I.D. Principle) 
  • Make frequent changes to your workout. Workout changes prevent boredom and increase the challenge to your body. 
  • Utilize Strength Training. It helps to maintain muscle tissue, which will help to keep your metabolism higher, it maintains "tone" and it burns more calories than cardio does.
  • When doing strength training be sure to use "bang for your buck" exercises that use multiple muscles and motions. If your goal is not to be a bodybuilder, then do not train like one.
Samantha Heller, RD
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Many people successfully shed pounds by following a specific workout routine, but others may need to shake it up a bit. In this video, registered dietitian Samantha Heller suggests ways to shrink your waistline while sweating it out.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

Buddy Up For Better Health
Buddy Up For Better Health
In an episode of the 90s sitcom News Radio, co-anchor Bill McNeal (Phil Hartman) wants to stop smoking, while news director Dave Nelson (Dave Foley) i...
Will I still be able to lose weight if I have a limited time to workout?
Barb MacGillivary, NASM Elite TrainerBarb MacGillivary, NASM Elite Trainer
Unfortunately, due to the busy schedules we keep it is often difficult to devote as much time as we ...
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
Trainer Donovan Green shares his secrets for calorie-burning success.
A Fun Way to Lose Weight: Ride a Bike
A Fun Way to Lose Weight: Ride a Bike