How much time should I spend working out?

To lose weight and stay healthy, shoot to exercise three times a week, performing a 20-minute workout to strengthen your muscles and then stretch them. If you want to break it up into smaller sessions, pick and choose as you like, but always try to match the strengthening and stretching exercises for a particular body part—that is, after you work your legs with a strength exercise, do the stretch exercise immediately after it. On the other four days of the week, you can do 5- to 10-minute post-walking, total-body stretches (you should be walking 30 minutes every day).

Here are examples of some types of exercises that should be part of your 20-minute workout:
  1. Monday, do push-ups to strengthen your chest.
  2. Wednesday, do crunches to strengthen your abs.
  3. Friday, do lunges to build strength needed for better balance.
YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers...

It is recommended that for general health, you workout 3-7 days per week for a total of 30-60 minutes per day. The frequency and intensity really depend on your level of fitness and your health status. For youths, it’s recommended to workout for 60 minutes per day, whereas seniors are recommend to workout 30 to 60 minutes in 8-10 minute bouts. Plan on daily dedicating an hour to physical activity and maintaining your health!

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

How to Bust Through a Weight-Loss Plateau
Should I Do Total-Body Exercises to Help Weight Loss?
How Long Do I Have to Exercise to Burn Off Certain Foods?
How Can Exercise Help Me Avoid Hitting a Weight-Loss Plateau?