How do I become more physically active to lose weight in weight management?

Becoming more physically active is a way to lose weight in weight management. Check with your healthcare provider first if you have not been exercising. You may hurt yourself if you start your exercise program with intense (heavy) exercise. Work with your healthcare provider to find an exercise plan that is right for you.

• Exercise at least 30 minutes per day on most days of the week. Some examples of exercise include walking, riding a bicycle, dancing and swimming.
  • You can also take the stairs instead of the elevator, park farther away from stores and walk, and walk around the mall.
  • Find several types of exercise that you really like and work them into your schedule. Many health clubs have evening and morning hours to help you fit exercise into your day.
  • Meet with an exercise "buddy" who will help you stay active.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

Should I do cardio in the morning or the evening to lose body fat?
There is no evidence supporting cardio training in the morning versus night as it relates to body fa...
How important is exercise to a weight loss program?
Robert DeVitoRobert DeVito
Simply put, exercise is an imperative part of a long-term weight loss program. Dieting to lose weigh...
Do I have to exercise to lose weight?
Dr. Michael T. Murray, MDDr. Michael T. Murray, MD
Lack of physical activity promotes insulin resistance. Individuals who are sedentary tend to lose in...
How can I optimize my workout to lose more weight?
Robert DeVitoRobert DeVito
Fitness strategies for weight loss success Our body is designed for survival. That means that it is ...