Why is it easier to lose weight through diet than exercise?

It's not necessarily easier to lose weight through diet than exercise, but good nutrition is an essential component of permanent fat loss.

In other words, you can't work out a bad diet. You can spend hours working out and never lose a pound of fat, if your diet consists of packaged processed junk in excess of the calories that your body uses. Remember also that you can consume too much of a good thing. It's all energy and that excess energy will be stored (usually as fat), if not burned. 

However if you incorporate a good balance of strength training, cardiovascular exercise, some type of flexibility work like stretching or yoga, meditation or some kind of stress relief and a good balanced whole foods diet that also includes a slight daily caloric deficit. The results will remove and keep excess pounds of fat coming off.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

What Type of Exercise Equipment Would Be Good for Weight Loss?
Should I Do Total-Body Exercises to Help Weight Loss?
How Long Do I Have to Exercise to Burn Off Certain Foods?
What Time of Day Will I Get the Most Effective Workout for Weight Loss?